Housing costs vary from one area to another in the province. In general, new house prices and rental rates increase with the size of the community, with the central sections of the Halifax-Dartmouth area having the highest costs.
- Average price of a residential dwelling in Nova Scotia was $198,652 in July 2010.(Canadian Real Estate Association MLS)
- That compares to a national average of $330,351.
- In the metropolitan Halifax area, the average residential dwelling cost $245,944 in July 2010.
- The average rent for a two-bedroom apartment in Nova Scotia was $842 a month (CMHC Spring 2010).
- That compares to a national average of $848 (CMHC Spring 2010).
- In metropolitan Halifax, the average rental cost for a two-bedroom apartment was $881 (CMHC Spring 2010).
For more information, visit www.nsar.ns.ca, www.cmhc.ca, and http://www.gov.ns.ca/snsmr/lifeevents/e/moving